Wednesday, April 22, 2020

SPOX's Daily Briefing – Social Distancing and Retail Stores




The pandemic has caused much sickness and confusion. I needed to do some research for my valued readers.

Doctor’s warning
Before I got started, my doctor warned me that visiting a large retail store can be very dangerous for me because I have 5 of the top 6 preexisting conditions. Thank god I’m not pregnant. 

Visit store
Shopping at large retailers still remains a major concern for the American people. So off I went to the local large retailer.

Safety measures - The visit started off in the right direction.
They had an employee working at each entrance controlling the customer count.
Another employee was disinfecting carts and supplying hand sanitizers.
They had even started one-way traffic through the 16 isles of frozen food and packaged products.

The store spokesman had posted the new Retailer’s shopping process.
We are closing store overnight for cleanings and restocking.
We are installing sneeze guards and social distance markers in stores.
We are beginning temperature checks of employees.
We are starting to make gloves and masks available to associates who want them.

Problems – Then I started my research of personal safety.
The first thing on my list was the use of masks.
I observed about 20 employees and 100+ customers. Here’s what I found.

1 – Employee fully masked with plastic gloves – the checkout clerk looked like she was ready for surgery
1 – Employee partially masked – mask band was over one ear with the mask dangling down
6 – Deli personal were wearing plastic gloves and caps – no masks

In addition, less than one in twenty customers were wearing masks.

Limited purchases
Toilet paper was still being rationed at one package per customer.
The store had added: eggs – bags of ice – hair coloring - other items to the limited list.

What’s next?
A spokesman said Jack Daniels is next on their list because of the increase in demand.

 JR Spox

No comments:

Post a Comment